Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Living in Paradise on Cape Cod

Hi, Everyone,

I am now in the Cotuit Library in Cotuit thinking how lucky I am to be living on Cape Cod.  Actually I live all year round on Mashpee-Wakeby Lake in Mashpee.  This glorious lake is ten miles all around, 729 acres, and one-third is conservation land.

I live in a simple, lovely cottage and when I wake up in the morning, I can look through skylights and see the trees and hear the birds.  What a glorious way to wake up.  It is better than a strong cup of coffee, although that is so terrific, too, in my cottage.

I have lived in Mashpee my whole life - mostly in the summers - but since 2005 I have lived there full-time. What a gift!!  So spectacular.

I have started this blog because I want to talk about the pleasures of living on Cape Cod all year round.  Not many people are as fortunate as I am - but there are many people here on the Cape - and life is easy and pleasant and gives you time to think about what is important in this life.  Also, what I love so much about being in Mashpee is all the creative people that I meet - artists, writers, photographers, and actors.  They are all here and trying to find authentic expression.  Just the greatest people ever.

My Dad and his cousin found Mashpee in the 1920's and when they married, they bought the 10-acre cove in which I live.  In the 1950's, they also purchased 72 acres on Mashpee-Wakeby Lake, strictly for environmental purposes and then sold 18 lots on the lake to friends and relatives for very little.  They just wanted to preserve the land and it remains pristine to this day.

In 1985, because of financial reasons, my Mom and our cousin sold 30 acres for a development and we kept 17 acres back.  We now want to sell it and we think it would be perfect for a family who wants simplicity as we do.

I shall talk more about the seventeen acres later.  For now I shall close and wish you a nice day - as nice as the one I am having here on Cape Cod.

No comments:

Post a Comment