Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Going Off-Cape To See Robert Redford



Well, after reading a bit of this blog, I think you understand why I love living in Mashpee so much.  But another reason that I have not mentioned is that it is close to Boston and all the great events that are taking place there all the time.

One of my favorite venues is the JFK Library which has many free forums every month and yesterday was the total best.  I left Mashpee to enter a fantastic world - the world of our national treasure, Robert Redford, because he was speaking with Maureen Dowd on many of his concerns, e.g., civil rights, politics, the entertainment industry, the environment and his great friend, Paul Newman, whom I miss very much.

Mr. Redford has given so much to us - most especially in the wonderful work that he does in storytelling and in his work in trying to preserve the environment.  Truthfully, I did not know what to expect when he came onstage. What I got was an authentic, down-to-earth person, who seemed to be saying, "I'm just like you, folks.  I have my worries, too."

From the minute he started talking with Maureen Dowd, Mr. Redford was gracious, friendly and totally responsive to her questions.  And what he emphasized is how sad he is for our country - how we have lost so much humanity in our government and in so many other areas of our lives.  But, even so, his humor was intact and he seemed to be enjoying himself very much.

Tonight he receives an environmental award at the Wang Center from Don Henley - something that he richly deserves, although he said that he is not a great fan of awards - that is not why he works.  He works for the enjoyment of it, he said - that is all.  Also, in keeping with his integrity, he has never done a commercial, not even in Japan.

He is a wonderful presence and I was so happy to be in his company, for even one hour.  And, of course, his reminiscences of the wonderful Paul Newman almost brought tears to my eyes.  Two lovely men who were great, great friends.

So, that is another reason why living on Cape Cod is a dream - at least in Mashpee, that is. Because it is only one hour to the JFK Library and maybe 90 minutes to the City.  As I have written, Mashpee is a beautiful, beautiful place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment